The prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) has reached epidemic proportions in India, the impact of which is seen in all medical practices. The tenets of osteopathic medicine are readily applicable to a proactive approach to patients with T2DM and are
(1) the body is a unit; a person is a unit of body, mind, and spirit;
(2) the body is capable of self-regulation, self-healing, and health maintenance;
(3) structure and function are reciprocally interrelated; and
(4) rational treatment is based upon an understanding of these basic principles.
The application of these tenets to the prevention and management of T2DM include treatments that leads to the removal of noxious stimuli to help the body function optimally; the musculoskeletal system’s role in disease prevention and management; the dynamic interaction of body, mind, and spirit, all 3 of which must be addressed to maintain health and limit disease; and intrinsic and extrinsic forces that can either promote or provoke a person’s health.
At Kriston clinic, we use the Osteopathic approach for diabetic patients with the following issues,
- Prevention in pre-diabetic patients
- To control and overcome initial stage diabetes
- To prevent the complication of diabetes
- Osteopathy for diabetic neuropathy, nephropathy, myopathy, numbness, sensory loss, tremor, weakness etc